By Marylene – (Marseille, France)
Does anyone know about good snorkeling spots in the Seychelles? We will be there for the whole month of February 2018. We know it’s not the best period but this is our time off.
We are planning on staying on the three main islands, Mahe, La Digue and Praslin.
Has anyone some tips on snorkeling spots? Thank you 🙂
Comments Moved From Previous System
Delana – Dec 3, 2017 – Seychelles Snorkeling
Hi, I have just spent two weeks in Seychelles for my fifth visit with the main purpose of snorkeling. Here are the old places I always go for excellent snorkeling although your visibility in February may be a problem.
- Praslin: Anse Lazio (from the beach)
- St Pierre and Coco Islands (require boat trip and expensive)
- I stayed at an Air BnB at Anse La Blague. The owner Jacques has his own boat and a car for rent. When he found out we were really serious about snorkeling, he took us on a dedicated trip without any of the barbecues and other sightseeing which limited the time on more commercial trips.
- La Digue: Anse Severe (from the beach)
- Source D’Argent also interesting
- Mahe: Used to always go to Hotel Anse Soleil. Isolated beach with some good snorkeling on site.
- Also snorkeled at Cerf Island which was good.
Enjoy your trip.
Anonymous – Dec 3, 2017 – Seychelles
It’s best to go to the Marine Parks, Baie St Anne on Mahé, for example.
Steve Catlin – Dec 4, 2017 – June 2017 Seychelles Snorkel Trip
I spent two weeks in the Seychelles this past June. It was not the ideal time, because the southeast trade winds were underway. I guess April would have been better, but like you I had constraints.
My favorite part of the trip was staying at Le Domaine de La Reserve Hotel at the north center of Praslin Island on a protected bay, a part of the Curieuse Marine Park. I saw a vast assortment of fish, including oddballs like lionfish, scorpionfish, moray eels, rays. Also one Hawksbill Sea Turtle.
Regrettably, almost all shallow coral in the Seychelles is dead due to coral bleaching.
Otherwise I tried for protected water, generally on the northwest of the islands. Anything east or south facing was getting drilled by waves. This made it either impossible, or at least murky.
The Seychelles are a good trip. I enjoyed the endemic plants (Coco de Mer Palms) and animals (tortoises).
Marylene – Dec 5, 2017 – Thank You
Dear snorkeling friends, Thank you very much for your tips. I am very excited about this coming trip and if I find anything else I will let you know. 😉
Nicole & Galen – Feb 4, 2019 – More Spot Ideas
Janie P has just shared a wealth of info about good snorkeling spots in the Seychelles in a comment on this page.