Picture Size Requirements and Editing Tips
To share pictures on this website to go along with your story or question, you will need to first edit your pictures so that they are not too big. This is a very easy process, which you may already know how to do with software on your computer or phone. If you don’t have editing software, read our instructions below for using a very quick and easy free online photo editor.
Picture Sizing Requirements:
Maximum image width is 1200 pixels.
Maximum image file size is 500 kilobytes.
Maximum number of images shared per post is 5.
How to Edit Your Pictures
In most photo editing software, you first resize your image. Enter a width of 1200 pixels or less. You need to leave the option selected to “Constrain Proportions or Constrain Aspect Ratio” and the software will automatically adjust the height to match.
Next, most all photo editing software will have some option for reducing an image file size so it is appropriate for sharing on a website. For example in Photoshop there is a “Save for the Web”, option. Using that, if you select a JPG quality of 70 or lower, it will normally reduce the file size of a 1200 wide image from several megabytes down to less than 500 kilobytes.
Free Online Photo Editor Method
If you do not already have any editing software just follow the very quick and easy steps below to edit your files. It’s free and no registration is required.
- Go to iPiccy.com
- Click “Edit a Photo”.
- Find the photo on your computer, select it and click “Open”.
- Click “Resize Image” on the left tool bar. Enter a max width of 1200 or smaller. Make sure Constrain Proportions remains selected. If your image is already less than 1200 wide leave its size as is. Click “Apply”.
- Click “Save” in the upper middle area of the software.
- Rename your picture. This is important so that you don’t replace your original picture with this new smaller one.
- Select “Good” quality.
- Click “Save to my computer” and put it somewhere you can easily find it for uploading later.
That’s it. Thanks for taking the time to reduce your image size and for sharing your pictures with our snorkeling community!