Will Be Snorkeling Roatan 2018 - Looking for Updated Information
Hello. Our group of snorkelers is going to Roatan for two weeks in July 2018. Unfortunately, there is not a detailed guide! :> I have used the guides on this site as bibles for several snorkeling trips. I have read the page on this site and documented my findings across other sites to prepare for our trip, but I wanted to reach out to this forum to seek additional insight and see if there is anything I may have missed.
My main goal is to make sure we experience all of the best sites the island has to offer that are either accessible by shore or an easy taxi boat ride. Also, some of the material is a bit dated, so I wanted get the latest experiences.
Snorkel sites I have noted to visit:
- West Bay - The 2nd reef sounds great. How bad of shape is the coral in?
- West End (Half Moon) - It appears the best snorkeling is on the left side and around the point. Any other insights?
- Sandy Bay - Seems to be a large area. Where are the best snorkel sites and entry points?
- Old Port Royal (Cow & Calf Cays) - A little fuzzy on how to get there. Any insight?
- French Key - Appears to be a $30/head fee. Is it worth it?
- Spooky Channel - Is it accessible by shore or boat only?
- Pigeon Cay/Barbareta - Worth the excursion?
- Utila Island - Worth the day trip?
Any other north/east side sites worth visiting? Any good snorkeling on or around Camp Bay Beach? What about any sites on the south side?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts. We want to take as much advantage of the snorkeling as we can.